Friday, November 24, 2017 TOP   >   About us   >   History

About us - History

 Ube, located at western part of Honshu Island (the Main Island of Japan), was a small village before late 19th century. Many ancient remains excavated have revealed that people were living in Ube area at least 10,000 years. A drastic population growth began from the late 19th century, when modern coal mining industry started up in this area and entrepreneurs actively started up many venture businesses. Ube city was established on November 1, 1921. The coal of Ube largely contributed to the powerful growth of Japanese economy from 1950s. However, in late 1960s, according to the energy source change from coal to oil, Ube city changed its basis industry from coal mining to chemicals. Today, many chemical and advanced materials industries play an important role in regional economy.
 When Ube Technical College (UTC) first opened its door to 200 students and 9 teachers in 1939, the campus was close to downtown of Ube city. In 1940, the College moved to Ube-Tokiwa campus on the Tokiwa Hill about 4 km from the downtown of Ube city, where the Faculty of Engineering of Yamaguchi University (YU-Eng) and the Graduate School of Science and Engineering (YU-GsSE) are now located. Old buildings of Ube Technical College were replaced in 1970s, and now historical buildings were completely removed. However, the main gate of Ube Technical College still remains as the west gate of the Ube-Tokiwa campus. In 2005, the Graduate School of Management of Technology (YU-GsMOT) opens on Ube-Tokiwa campus to people who want to learn the ability and skill of Technical Officer and/or R&DManager in Industries. Today, the Ube-Tokiwa campus is the home of more than 2,000 undergraduate and 700 graduate students and 350 faculties and supporting staffs.

Key Events and Highlights in History of YU-Eng, YU-GsSE, YU-GsMOT at Ube-Tokiwa Campus

1939
Ube Technical College (UTC) was founded on May 22, 1939 by the sponsorship of Japanese Government and Ube City. In 1939, Japanese Government established 7 national colleges of technology at Muroran, Morioka, Taga, Osaka, Ube, Niihama, and Kurume.
1949
Ube Technical College was integrated with several other colleges to establish Yamaguchi University. The Faculty of Engineering of Yamaguchi University (YU-Eng) follows the founding spirit of Ube Technical College. Also, in 1949, all of seven national colleges of technology at Muroran, Morioka, Taga, Osaka, Ube, Ehime, and Kurume founded in 1939, were renamed or integrated as Muroran Institute of Technology, Iwate University, Ibaraki University, Osaka Prefecture University, Yamaguchi University, Ehime University, and Kyushu University, respectively. Ube Technical College is the mother of the Faculty of Engineering of Yamaguchi University.
1958
The Graduate School of Engineering of Yamaguchi University (YU-GsE) opens its door to graduate students. The major fields in 1966 were Mechanical, Underground Resources, Industrial Chemistry, Civil, and Electrical Engineering. In 1968, 11 graduate students got MS degree by finishing educational programs and thesis work in their major fields.
1990
The Graduate School of Engineering of Yamaguchi University (YU-GsE) opens PhD course for graduate students. The alumni with PhD degree occupy important positions in industrial research and academic fields of world-wide.
1997
The Graduate School of Engineering of Yamaguchi University (YU-GsE) was renamed as the Graduate School of Science and Engineering of Yamaguchi University (YU-GsSE) by taking over the Graduate School of Science.
1990s
Yamaguchi University established Collaborative Research Center (CRC) on Ube-Tokiwa campus to accelerate the cooperation between industry and university researches. In 1990s, new buildings of CRC, Venture Business Laboratory and Business Incubator were constructed and now on use. The buildings are on right side of the main gate of Ube-Tokiwa campus.
2005
Yamaguchi University established the Graduate School of Management of Technology (MOT). Now, Graduate School of MOT opens satellite in downtown of Kitakyusyu City and Hiroshima City.
(Update:April 02 2012)